Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Rainy Days in Oregon

Tate and I spent last week at my brother's house in Oregon City, Oregon. We went to help Jason recover from surgery - but mostly to save him from ultimate boredom. As his wife puts it quite appropriately, "He is well enough to be bored, but not well enough to do anything." We were able to drag him along with us to ride the ferry across the river and see the tree climbing goats at FirPoint Farms - but he pretty much stayed in the car. Despite the fact that it rained every day, we did have a good time and it was very nice to spend time with Jason and Liberty. We're still trying to figure out why they like Oregon so much - we were more than happy to come home to the dry Arizona heat!

This is Tate and I on Noah's Arc at FirPoint Farms

Instead of a Ball Pit they have a Nut House full of Hazel Nut's. It was alot of fun to play in, but the best part was finding nuts in our pants for the rest of the day!



Tate and Aunt Liberty next to the giant Tepee.


So the whole point of this trip to FirPoint Farms was to see the goats climb the trees. What is supposed to happen is you put some food in this little cup on a pully. The goats walk up the ramps to the top, pull the rope themselves to bring up the food and we get really excited. Well that didn't happen. A big group of kids had gotten there before us and the goats were full so they could not be enticed to work for a treat.



I just thought this was really pretty. I wonder how long something like this would last in our AZ heat.

Here we are on the ferry. The operators probably thought we were crazy to get out both times in the rain to take pictures, but hey - I'd never been on a ferry!

Liberty's sister Becky took Tate and I on the Oregon City elevator - the only vertical street in the US.



Becky kept Tate entertained all week. She played games with him, took him to the park, let him follow her around, and let him help finish building a new gate for Uncle Jason's backyard - which Tate promply left his mark on by attempting to write his name. Becky caught him after just the "T", so now Jason & Liberty can think of Tate every time they use their new gate.


Liberty has a beautiful garden with raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes, zucchnis, greenbeans and pumpkins. Unfortunately none of them were ready to eat. Tate helped Liberty check their progress everyday, and was so excited that one of the strawberries was starting to turn red.

Thanks Jason and Liberty for entertaining us - We love you guys!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have some funny jokes to make to you in person that would be wholly inappropriate to write in the comment section!!! Looks like a fun trip!

Lauryn said...

looks like you had fun!

PS: I am back on blogger with my blog... update your link to:

http://laurynvanrooy.blogspot.com :)

{jennifer} said...

Fun!! Too bad about the goats. You can always go to schneff farms and watch this, without the rain!

Brad's Mom said...

About the nut part ;-) How is a goat walking up a ramp advertised as a "tree climbing goat"? Your trip looks like fun. I wish I had a gate building auntie. Those girls can do anything!!!

Clay's gal said...

Looks like you had a good trip!
We want to come see your cabinets when you guys are all done! I would give my right arm for some more cabinet space! You lucky girl! I think we will just have to wait until we move. Clays not that adventerous!

The Hall Family said...

Hi Marie! Cute blog. Your boys are so cute and are getting so big. I hope you guys are doing great. Lets get together sometime!!

Flaherty Fam said...

What a fun trip. Oregon and Washington are two of the only few states I have never been too. I don't like rain either, so that's probably why I haven't jumped at the chance to go. I love that it was a trip just for you and Tate.

Colburns said...

How fun! My grandma lives in that same city how weird is that? I love the goat and tate picture it's so funny!

Marquita said...

Hey Marie, I found your blog through Stacie's. Such a cute family! Email me and I'll send you an invite to my blog.
ketalcs@hotmail.com